So what would the day be like at your school?


Let's look at the example of a 1 Class day with Drummer & Dancer:
4 x ½ hour sessions (2hrs):
    •  Introduction to Egyptian Music & Dance with Ancient instruments from Egypt brought along
    •  Workshops - half dance in the Hall; half drum in the Classroom / Music Room
    •  2nd Workshops - the 2 groups change over
    •  The Show in which every pupil performs Dance and Drumming to an audience*

How would a 2 Class day with Drummer & Dancer work?
4 x ½ hour sessions as above, for each of the 2 classes (total 4hrs)

What about the 3 Class day with Drummer & Dancer?
8 x ½ hr sessions (4hrs)
    •  Introduction to Egyptian Music & Dance with Ancient instruments brought along (3 Classes together)
    •  Workshops for Class A - half dance in the Hall; half drum in Classroom / Music Room
    •  Class A 2nd Workshops - the 2 groups change over
    •  Workshops for Class B - as above
    •  Class B 2nd Workshops - as above
    •  Workshops for Class C - as above
    •  Class C 2nd Workshops - as above
    •  The Show for the 3 Classes together in which every child performs one of their 2 skills*

And the 4, 5 & 6 Class day with Drummer & Dancer?
The format is similar, with each pupil receiving either a Dance or a Percussion workshop (but not both). However it's possible for each child to receive both workshops, if booking over 2 days.
For the 1 day option:
    •  4 Class day 8 x ½ hr sessions (4 hours)
    •  5 Class day 9 x ½ hr sessions (4 ½ hours)
    •  6 Class day 10 x ½ hr sessions (5 hours)

How does this work if we want a Drummer only (or indeed a Dancer only)?
80% of Schools studying The Egyptians book Drummer & Dancer but that still leaves 20%. After the Introduction, when the Drummer takes half the Class, the other half remain in class with a member of Staff. Worksheet masters are provided although many Teachers chose to use this opportunity to do a small group craft activity. All pupils perform in The Show.

How does this fit into a school day?

(note: timings are adjusted to suit your timetable e.g. where a Hall is used for lunch set-up we can start earlier)
Example: 1 Class day with Drummer only
      9:15  -  Introduction
      9:45  -  Half drumming
    10:15  -  Split reverses (to 10.45)
    11:10  -  The Show (to 11.40)

Example: 3 Class day with Drummer & Dancer
      9:30  -  Introduction - 3 classes tog.
    10:00  -  1st Class splits - half Dancing, half Percussion
    10:30  -  1st Class split reverses (to 11)
    11:15  -  2nd Class splits
    11:45  -  2nd Class split reverses (to 12.15 lunch)
      1:25    -  3rd Class splits
      1:55    -  3rd Class split reverses
      2:25    -  The Show - 3 classes together (to 2.55)
* NB - for The Show:
    •  For the 1 or 2 class days, another class or Year Group can be invited (and parents and press at the discretion of the School).
                Inviting younger pupils (where possible) is less intimidating for the children to perform to.
    •  For the 3 class days Teachers may decide it is best for them to perform to each other. If the Hall is large, an audience may be invited.
    •  For the 4 - 6 class days the pupils will perform to each other due to space needs.